How to Apply


Graduate Application Deadlines

Fall Start

February 1st – Applicants with foreign credentials, Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling
February 15th – Dance Education and Doctorate in Instructional Leadership (EdD)
March 15th – Priority deadline for all other programs

Spring Start

September 1st – Applicants with foreign credentials

October 15th – Priority Deadline for all programs

November 1st – Extended Deadline (Applied Behavior Analysis, Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling programs are no longer accepting applications.)

November 15th – Extended Deadline for Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Families and Children MSEd and Advanced Certificate

November 30th – Extended Deadline for Rehabilitation Counseling

The following programs do not accept a spring applicants: Adolescent Special Education (Online Pathway), Childhood Special Education Advanced Certificate Learning Disabilities Concentration, Childhood with STEM Specialization, Dance Education, EdD in Instructional Leadership, Educational Psychology

Steps to Apply to a Graduate Program

Create Your Application Account

The application for graduate admission is entirely online. You can begin your application, save the information, and come back to it at a later date. Start your graduate application.

For more information including technical support, click here.

Statement of Purpose

All applicants are required to upload an essay (500 words) indicating your objectives for graduate study. This is your opportunity to speak directly to faculty about your interest in the program. Your essay should not only address why you want to pursue the specific graduate program, but how you will contribute to the field of education.

Some programs may have additional instructions for the Statement of Purpose. These can be viewed via the “Statement of Purpose” section of the application.

Find more information, including technical support, on the Graduate Admissions page.


Upload unofficial transcripts for each post-secondary school you have attended. Official transcripts should be mailed to the Graduate Admissions Office (Room 223 North) upon acceptance to a program.

Find more information, including technical support, on the Graduate Admissions page.


Upload your current resume with your employment history, educational history, teaching certifications and any other relevant experience or awards.

Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation should speak to your academic ability to succeed in graduate study and to your potential in the field. You will be asked to enter the name and email addresses of two references. Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the application system.

Find more information, including technical support, on the Graduate Admissions page.

GRE Scores

Applicants to graduate programs leading to certification must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). As of December 2017, certified teachers or administrators who already hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement. This exemption does not apply to the Doctor of Education program (EdD in Instructional Leadership). For more information about the GRE and to view a  complete list of here

Register for the GRE at and use the ETS Code 2301 to send your official scores directly to Hunter College. GRE scores must be received by the beginning of your first semester.

Applicants may submit a GRE Exemption Request by completing the GRE Exemption Request Form. Hunter College may choose to exempt the GRE requirement based on a student’s demonstration of potential to positively contribute to the teaching and/or educational leadership professions. GRE Exemption Requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

Supplemental Materials or Information

Some programs require additional exams, writing samples, interviews or auditions.

  • Adolescent Spanish, Italian, French & Chinese Education – Applicants are required to earn a score of Advanced Low on the Oral Proficiency Interview. Register for the OPI exam at
  • Applied Behavior Analysis Master’s Program: Applicants should upload answers to the following questions: Do you plan on working in an ABA setting during your graduate studies? If so, please describe the setting. The ABA – MS program requires two 150-hour practica. Do you plan to complete the practica in a Hunter-assigned setting or in your work setting? If you plan to complete your practica in your work setting, please describe the available supervision. Finally, please indicate whether you will attend any of your coursework via distance learning.
  • Bilingual Education Programs – Applicants should upload a Spanish, French, or Mandarin translation of the Statement of Purpose.
  • Counseling Programs – Consider you are a counseling student providing services at a counseling internship placement site, what type of client or client issue would be difficult for you and why? How do you think you would cope with this situation? Please respond to these questions in 400 – 600 words.
  • Dance EducationAudition required.
  • Music EducationAudition required.
  • Instructional Leadership, EdD – Supplemental Essay Prompt: Please upload a supplemental essay of approximately 500 words describing a specific area of professional interest you want to research in your EdD program and explain how this line of inquiry fits into your professional goals.
  • Visual Arts Education – Upload your artwork portfolio at

Applicants with Foreign Credentials

Applicants with foreign credentials who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are currently ineligible to apply to the following programs:

  • Applied Behavior Analysis, Advanced Certificate
  • Applied Behavior Analysis, MS
  • Visual Impairment – Rehabilitation Teaching, MSEd
  • Visual Impairment – Combined Rehabilitation Teaching and Orientation and Mobility, MSEd

If you completed your bachelor’s degree outside the U.S. where English was not the native language, or if you completed fewer than 90 credits toward your bachelor’s degree in the U.S. you are considered an International Student.

You should submit your application by the deadline for applicants with foreign credentials, and review the additional items below:

  • Original transcripts are needed from all post-secondary schools attended. Note: Transcript evaluations such as WES are not accepted in lieu of original transcripts.
  • Admission is offered only to those students who are fully prepared in English as demonstrated in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is not accepted by Hunter College.
  • Official TOEFL scores must be sent to Hunter College, Graduate Admissions Office, institutional code 2301. The minimum TOEFL scores for the School of Education are:
    • Overall: Paper Based Test: 575/ Computer Administered Test: 233/ IBT: 68 (less speaking component)
    • Writing: Paper Based Test: 4.5/ IBT Writing Section: 22
    • Speaking: Paper Based Test: 45/ IBT Speaking Section: 23
  • View additional information about the TOEFL requirements at Hunter College.

Find more information about visa procedures for international students.

Pay the Application Fee & Submit Your Application

Effective for Fall 2019 applicants and thereafter, a $75 application processing fee will be required. You can pay the application fee via credit card upon submission, or via check or money order after submission.

Current Hunter College seniors may be eligible for an application fee waiver

When submitting the online graduate degree application, please select ‘Pay by Check’ but do not submit a payment. Contact for more information about how to request an application fee waiver.

CUNY Sponsored Application Fee 

For Fall 2020 applicants applying to programs leading to high-needs certification areas including all developmental levels in Special Education and Adolescent Math will have their application fee sponsored by CUNY. These programs are listed below.

  • Adolescent Mathematics Education (Grades 7-12) Master’s and Post Master’s Advanced Certificate
  • Adolescent Mathematics Professional Certificate (Grades 7-12) Master’s
  • Adolescent Special Education Generalist (Grades 7-12) Master’s and Advanced Certificate
  • Childhood Special Education: Behavior Disorders (Grades 1-6) Master’s and Advanced Certificate
  • Childhood Special Education: Learning Disabilities (Grades 1-6) Master’s and Advanced Certificate
  • Childhood Special Education: Severe/Multiple Disabilities Master’s
  • Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Birth – Grade 2) Master’s and Advanced Certificate
  • Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families – Severe & Multiple (Birth – Grade 2) Master’s
  • Professional Certification in Special Education Master’s Degree

For additional information, including technical support, click here.