Adolescent Mathematics Professional Certificate
This master’s degree program is designed for teachers who have New York State (NYS) initial certification in Mathematics 7-12, or teachers who hold professional or permanent certification seeking to further their knowledge/skills, and gain additional graduate credits. You will take advanced coursework in methods of teaching mathematics to further enhance your skills as a teacher of math.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Professional Certification in Adolescent Mathematics Education Grades 7-12
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
- New York State Certification in Mathematics, Grades 7-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- Students must have at least 24 undergraduate credits in mathematics with a B average, including courses in Calculus and Linear Algebra
- Students with a master’s degree in mathematics or mathematics education must have a GPA of at least 3.0 in their graduate courses, with a B average in mathematics courses
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants)
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Adolescent Education and Math Professional Certification (Grades 7-12).
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15 (Priority Deadline)
- November 1 (Extended Deadline)
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
CUNY Sponsored Application Fee
Applicants applying to this program by June 30, 2024, will have their application fee sponsored by CUNY.
If you hold a master’s degree in Mathematics, you may be eligible for our Post-Master’s Advanced Certificate program in Adolescent Mathematics.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Math Department Advisor