This master’s program will prepare you to teach Latin to middle school and high school students of diverse backgrounds, abilities and interests in grades 7-12. This program is offered jointly with the Classical and Oriental Studies Department in the School of Arts & Sciences.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Adolescent Latin Education Grades 7-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- An index of at least 3.0 in an undergraduate major or the equivalent in Latin or classics. Students must have 30 credits of coursework in Latin
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a world language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Adolescent Education and Adolescent Education Latin (Grades 7-12).
Fall Start: March 15 (Priority Deadline), May 1 (Extended Deadline)
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
This program is not designed for individuals who have initial NYS certification in Latin, Grades 7-12. If you seek a Master’s Degree and Professional Certification in a related field, consider our programs in Adolescent Special Education, Literacy Grades 5-12 or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
If you hold a master’s degree in Latin, you may be eligible for our Post-Master’s Advanced Certificate program in Adolescent Latin.