This master’s program will prepare you to teach Mathematics to middle school and high school students of diverse backgrounds, abilities and interests in Grades 7-12.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Adolescent Mathematics Education Grades 7-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- 24 or more credits in mathematics approved by the graduate mathematics adviser, including a course in elementary statistics, a year of calculus and a course in matrix algebra or linear algebra. Applicants may be admitted on the condition that they complete up to 12 credits of additional course work in mathematics. A transcript review will determine which additional credits, if any, are needed
- A grade point average of at least 2.7 in mathematics courses
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Eduction -Adolescent Education and Adolescent Education Math (Grades 7-12) no prior Math NYS Teaching Cert.
CUNY Sponsored Application Fee
Applicants applying for Fall 21 matriculation to this program are eligible for an application fee waiver. When submitting the online graduate degree application, please select ‘Pay by Check’ but do not submit a payment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you hold initial NYS certification in this content area, you may be eligible for our Adolescent Math Professional Certificate MA program.
If you hold a master’s degree in Mathematics, you may be eligible for our Post Master’s Advanced Certificate program in Adolescent Mathematics.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Math Department Advisor