Literacy Grades 5-12
This master’s program is designed for teachers with NYS certification in Middle Childhood, grades 5-9 or in an Adolescent content area, grades 7-12 who want to become teachers of literacy and reading at the middle or high school levels. This program leads to certification in Literacy, grades 5-12.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school.
Certification: Literacy Grades 5-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold New York State teacher certification as a content area in Middle Childhood Education Grades 5-9 or Adolescent Education Grades 7-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5
- NYS initial, professional, or permanent certification as a content teacher in Middle Childhood Education Grades 5-9 or Adolescent Education Grades 7-12
- Two letters of recommendation including one from a supervisor
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report. Certified teachers or administrators who already possess a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
- On-site writing sample after the application is reviewed
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Adolescent Education – Adolescent Literacy (Grades 5-12).
If you hold certification a Master’s degree and NYS certification, you may be eligible for the Post Master’s Advanced Certificate in Literacy, Grades 5-12 coming soon. Click here to add your name to our mailing list for more information.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
There are no upcoming events at this time.