Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Early Childhood Special Education) Advanced Certificate
This post-master’s program will prepare you to support infants, toddlers, preschoolers and early elementary children and their families. You will be prepared to practice in inclusive, integrated, and self-contained classrooms, as well as homes and communities. This program is designed for teachers who hold New York State certification and a master’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Birth – Grade 2.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required fieldwork hours in classrooms, homes, or community settings. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study.
Certification: Students with Disabilities, Birth – Grade 2
Eligibility & Admissions Requirements
- A master’s degree in Early Childhood Education from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- New York State initial, professional or permanent teacher certification in Early Childhood Education, Birth – Grade 2
- A statement of purpose that addresses the following prompts:
- Describe your understanding of what it means to be an early interventionist/early childhood special educator and your personal vision for the field of early intervention/early childhood special education
- Share your reason for pursuing a career in early intervention/early childhood special education and what led you to this career
- Describe your prior experiences with young children and/or children in special education in your responses to the above
- Two letters of recommendation
Applications are accepted each Fall semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Adv. Cert in ECDL (leads to Students with Disabl. B-2 Cert)- Specialized Addl Cert.
If you do not have a master’s degree or hold New York State teacher certification in Early Childhood Education Birth – Grade 2, consider applying for master’s degree program in Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Early Childhood Special Education)