Blind and Visually Impaired – Orientation and Mobility Advanced Certificate
This post-master’s, advanced certificate program will prepare you to work with children and adults with visually impairments and blindness both in schools and adult, residential or non-school agency settings. If you have a master’s degree in vision rehabilitation therapy or teacher of the visually impaired, our real-time distance learning instruction and limited on-campus required labs allow you to complete your advanced certificate program in O&M from anywhere in the United States.
Certification/Licensure: National certification from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP) as orientation and mobility specialists
Eligibility & Admission
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0, plus teacher of the blind and visually impaired teaching certificate, or occupational therapy or physical therapy
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5 in rehabilitation teaching, teacher of the blind and visually impaired, occupational therapy or physical therapy
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- Evidence of work, volunteer or personal experience with individuals with visual impairments
- An on-site interview may be required
Note: International applicants who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not currently eligible for this program.
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Adv. Cert. in Orientation & Mobility.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not have a master’s degree in rehabilitation teaching or teacher of the blind and visually impaired or hold New York State teacher certification in teacher of the blind and visually impaired, consider applying for our master’s degree programs in Visual Impairment – Rehabilitation Teaching or Visual Impairment: Rehabilitation Teaching and Orientation and Mobility.