Computer Science Education Advanced Certificate
This program is designed to prepare New York State certified middle and high school teachers to become effective teachers of Computer Science at all grade levels.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Coursework will be completed in two semesters (Summer and Fall) with 12 credits of courses completed in the Summer term, and the 9 credits completed in the Fall semester. Summer courses are offered during the day, 5 days per week beginning the end of June through July. Fall course are offered in the afternoon and evening.
Certification: Computer Science (All grades)
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s Degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended
- NY State Teacher certification in any content area
- Knowledge of programming in a text based language such as Python, Java, or C++
- Applicants will upload a code sample in a text based language that is representative of their current programming ability in their personal statement, or will provide a link to sample code on their resume.
- Statement of Purpose
- Include the following information in your resume or in an addendum to your resume
- How many years have you taught in the NYCDOE
- How many years have you taught: APCS-A, APCS Principals, Exploring CS, or another CS curriculum
- A link to a sample code in a text based language hosted on Git Hub, or other hosting service
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interview with program faculty
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs, and Computer Science Education.
If you do not hold NY State certification, consider applying to our Master’s Degree program in Computer Science Education.