Bilingual Education Extension – NYS Teachers Advanced Certificate
This post-baccalaureate, advanced certificate program will train you to become an effective bilingual practitioner using two languages of instruction. The program is offered in: Spanish/English, French/English, and Chinese/English.
Certification: Bilingual Education Extension for classroom teachers with New York State teacher certification
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold New York State teacher certification.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5
- New York State teacher certification in:
- Early Childhood Education (Birth – Grade 2)
- Childhood Education (Grades 1-6)
- Common Branches (PreK – Grade 6)
- Middle Childhood Education (Grades 5-9)
- Adolescent Education (Grades 7-12)
- Special Subjects
- Literacy Education
- Students with Disabilities in Early Childhood, Childhood, Middle Childhood, or Adolescent Education or Special Education (Birth – Grade 12)
- Teachers of Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired, Deaf or Hard of Hearing, or Speech and Language Impaired
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from a supervisor
- A statement of purpose
- A translated statement of purpose in the language you intend to study
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report for applicants is required for those applicants who do not hold a graduate degree
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese and an interview conducted in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Bilingual Extension for Teachers.
If you do not hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our master’s degree programs in Bilingual Education.
If you hold NYS pupil personnel services certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate program in Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services.