Bilingual Education Extension – NYS Teachers Advanced Certificate
This post-baccalaureate, advanced certificate program will train you to become an effective bilingual practitioner using two languages of instruction. The program is offered in: Spanish/English, French/English, and Chinese/English.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
13 to 14
Bilingual Education Extension for classroom teachers with New York State teacher certification
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold New York State teacher certification.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5
- New York State teacher certification in:
- Early Childhood Education (Birth – Grade 2)
- Childhood Education (Grades 1-6)
- Common Branches (PreK – Grade 6)
- Middle Childhood Education (Grades 5-9)
- Adolescent Education (Grades 7-12)
- Special Subjects
- Literacy Education
- Students with Disabilities in Early Childhood, Childhood, Middle Childhood, or Adolescent Education or Special Education (Birth – Grade 12)
- Teachers of Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired, Deaf or Hard of Hearing, or Speech and Language Impaired
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese and an interview conducted in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese to demonstrate speaking, reading, and writing fluency
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from a supervisor
- A statement of purpose
- A translated statement of purpose in the language you intend to study
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report for applicants is required for those applicants who do not hold a graduate degree (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Bilingual Extension for Teachers.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you are a certified Special Education teacher working in the Department of Education, consider applying for the tuition- subsidized ITI-BSE Bilingual Extension Program.
If you do not hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our master’s degree programs in Bilingual Education.
If you hold NYS pupil personnel services certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate program in Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Learn More About Clinical Experiences