Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired Advanced Certificate
This post-master’s, advanced certificate program will prepare you to serve as a teacher of the blind and visually impaired, including those with multiple disabilities, in educational settings from birth – grade 12.
Certification: Professional certification in Blind and Visually Impaired
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- Master’s degree in education or a related services field (speech and language pathology, physical therapy, nursing) with a GPA of at least 3.5
- New York State teacher certification in any area
- Completion of SPED 70000 (Issues and Practices in Educating Students with Disabilities) or the equivalent with a grade of B or better for all applicants without a master’s degree in special education
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- Evidence of work, volunteer, or personal experience with individuals with visual impairments
- An on-site interview may be required
Note: International applicants who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not currently eligible for this program.
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Adv. Cert. in Blind & Visually Impaired.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not have a master’s degree or hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our master’s degree program in Blind and Visually Impaired.