Blind and Visually Impaired Dual Certification
This master’s program will prepare you to to teach learners who are blind or visually impaired in diverse PreK-12 settings including residential schools for the blind, classroom programs and itinerant teaching settings in public and private schools.
47 to 60
Childhood Education Grades 1-6 and Blind and Visually Impaired
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
For applicants who do not hold NYS certification
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0; or A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5; plus
- A liberal arts or science major or interdisciplinary concentration of at least 30 credits
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences including coursework in artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a world language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants)
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants)
Note: International applicants who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not currently eligible for this program.
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Blind and Visually Impaired no prior NYS Teacher Cert.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15 (Priority Deadline)
- November 1 (Extended Deadline)
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you hold New York State teacher certification in Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, PreK-Grade 6 Education, Middle Childhood Education or Adolescent Education, you may be eligible for a shorter master’s degree program Blind and Visually Impaired for NYS Certified Teachers. If you hold a Master’s Degree in Special Education you may be eligible for a the Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate programs in Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired or Blind and Visually Impaired – Orientation and Mobility