Deaf and Hard of Hearing for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s program will prepare you to become a teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Graduates of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program typically become itinerant or classroom teachers for students who are deaf and hard of hearing with a wide range of hearing levels and communication modality, both signed and oral.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
33 to 39
Deaf and Hard of Hearing PreK to 12
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold NYS certification in Early Childhood, Childhood, PreK-Grade 6, Middle Childhood or Adolescent Education
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- NYS initial, professional, or permanent certification in Early Childhood, Childhood, PreK-grade 6, Middle Childhood or Adolescent Education. Those holding permanent certification must either show proof that they have satisfied the New York State requirements regarding wellness, child abuse, drug abuse, fire safety, and violence prevention or take HED 715, a 1-credit course covering these topics
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Deaf and Hard of Hearing with prior NYS Childhood Teacher Cert.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.