Assistant Professor of Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Ph.D. Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, University of Colorado – Boulder, CO
M.A. Deaf Education, Smith College, MA
B.S. Deaf Education, Kent State University, OH
- Current courses: SPED 722, SPED 730, SPED 731, SPED 737
- Past courses: SPED 720, SPED 721
- Gale, E. (2020). Collaborating With Deaf Adults in Early Intervention. Young Exceptional Children. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096250620939510
- Gale, E., Berke, M., Benedict, B., Olson, S., Putz, K., & Yoshinaga-Itano, C. (2019). Deaf adults in early intervention programs. Deafness & Education International, 1-22. doi:10.1080/14643154.2019.1664795
- Gale, E., & Kung, S. C. (2019). Student Perceptions of Mobile Video Recording to Learn American Sign Language. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (IJMBL), 11(1), 1-11.
- Huenerfauth, M., Gale, E., Penly, B., Pillutla, S., Willard, M., & Hariharan, D. (2017). Evaluation of Language Feedback Methods for Student Videos of American Sign Language. ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS), 10(1), 2.
- Gale, E., & Berke, M. (2016, October). Eyes for Early Language Learning: Promoting Visual Strategies for Deaf Children. http://www.raisingandeducatingdeafchildren.org/2016/10/06/eyes-for-early-language-learning-promoting-visual-strategies-for-deaf-children/
- Huenerfauth, M., Gale, E., Penly, B., Willard, M., & Hariharan, D. (2015, October). Comparing methods of displaying language feedback for student videos of american sign language. In Proceedings of the 17th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers & Accessibility (pp. 139-146). ACM.
- Gale, E. (2011). Exploring Perspectives on Cochlear Implants and Language Acquisition within the Deaf Community. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 16(1), 121-139. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.
- Gale, E., Trief, E., & Lengel, J. (2010). The use of Video Analysis in a personnel preparation program for teachers of the blind and visually impaired. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness.
- Gale, E. & Kung SC. (2009). Teaching a foreign language with video podcast assignments: Examples from an American Sign Language course. Educause Quarterly, 32(4). www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/TeachingaForeignLanguagewithVi/192962
- Gale, E. & Schick, B. (2009). Symbol-Infused Joint Attention and language use in mothers with deaf and hearing toddlers. American Annals of the Deaf, 153, 484-503.
- Easterbrooks, S. R., Stephenson, B. H. & Gale E. (2009). Veteran teachers’ use of recommended practices in deaf education. American Annals of the Deaf, 153, 461-473
- National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Grant Title: Family ASL: Bimodal Bilingual Acquisition by Deaf Children of Hearing Parents
- National Science Foundation CHS Medium Collaborative Research, Grant Title: Immediate feedback to support learning American Sign Language through multi sensory recognition
- CUNY Collaborative Incentive Research Grant, Grant Title: Quantifying best practice patterns of deaf and hard of hearing educators relative to audiological perspectives via videotape analysis
- Faculty Innovations in Teaching with Technology, Grant Title: Implementing video apps in sign language courses to increase student learning and engagement