L. Beth Brady
Assistant Professor, Program Leader of the Blind/Visual Impairments and Severe/Multiple Disabilities Programs
Wednesday 3-7pm by email
Dr. L. Beth Brady is an Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Blind/Visual Impairments and Severe/Multiple Disabilities Programs at Hunter College, City University of New York. Dr. Brady started as an adjunct lecturer at Hunter College in 2016, teaching foundation classes on severe and multiple disabilities, in addition to hosting numerous Hunter student teachers in her middle school classroom over the years. Previously, she worked as an itinerant teacher of students with visual impairments in the New York City Public Schools, after beginning her career as a classroom special education teacher of learners with severe/multiple disabilities in New York City’s District 75 and at the Boston College Campus School. She completed her Ph.D. at Teachers College, Columbia University in Special Education, with a focus in Intellectual Disability and Autism. Dr. Brady received both her B.A. in Elementary Education and American Heritages and a M.Ed. in Severe Special Education, with a concentration in deafblindness, from Boston College. Her particular research interests are in the areas of communication, alternate assessment, deafblindness, inclusion and urban teacher preparation.
- SPED 706/ SPED 706.5 Strategies and Curriculum Adaptations for Learners with Severe/Multiple Disabilities Including Deaf/blindness
- SPED 790 Foundations and Educational Implications of Severe Disabilities including Deafblindness
- SPED 791 Alternative Assessment for Learners with Low Incidence Disabilities: Visual Impairment, Deafblindness, and Severe Disabilities
- SPED 748 Student Teaching: Blindness and Visual Impairment Preschool-Grade 12
- Brady, L.B. (2020, February). Determining a Tactile Threshold For Learners with Deafblindness: Teachers’ Communication Modality Choices. Peer-reviewed presentation at Council for Exceptional Children Conference, Portland, OR.
- Brady, L.B. (2019, October) Communication Modalities, Assistive Technology, and State Teacher Certification Practices for Learners with Deafblindness. Peer-reviewed workshop at New York State Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired, Syracuse, NY.
- Brady, L.B. (2019, August). Augmented Input and the Classroom Communication Environment for Learners with Deafblindness. Peer-reviewed poster presentation at Deafblind International World Conference, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Jahromi, L. B., Derlan, C. L., Brady, L. B., Umaña-Taylor, A. J., Updegraff, K. A., & Wang, Y. (in preparation). Psychosocial Predictors of Teen Mothers’ Vocalizations with their Young Children: Links to Children’s Subsequent Language.
- Brady, L.B. (2017, October). Educational Placements for Students with Deafblindness in the United States: A Comparison of National and State Demographic Data. Peer-reviewed poster presented at New York State Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- Brady, L.B., Damen, S., Roy, A. & Bruce, S.M. (July 2016). Action Research: Identifying Interventions and Data Sources. Deafblind International Review, 57, 31 – 33.