Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages – TESOL Advanced Certificate
This post-masters, advanced certificate program will prepare certified teachers to teach students — either children or adolescents — for whom English is a second or additional language. You will study the skills necessary for teaching English to speakers of other languages using specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to monolingual English speakers.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. The course sequence may be completed partially or fully online. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester. School observations can be conducted through the medium of teacher-recorded video for teachers who opt to do student-teaching/practicum outside of New York City.
Certification: ESOL PreK-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree and New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education, special subjects, students with disabilities, or literacy.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas:
- Early childhood
- Middle childhood
- Adolescent education
- Special subjects
- Students with disabilities
- College coursework in linguistics and English grammar
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following: 6 credits in English, 6 credits in social studies (with at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), 12 credits in a language other than English at the college level, and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose – note your interest in online or on-site coursework
- An on-site oral interview and an on-site writing sample may be required
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Adv. Cert in T.E.S.O.L. (Grades PreK-12)-Specialized Addl Cert.
If you would like to complete all of your coursework online, please note that in your statement of purpose.
If you do not hold New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education, special subjects, students with disabilities, or literacy, consider applying for the master’s degree program in TESOL PreK-12.
If you hold a master’s in TESOL, Linguistics, or Applied Linguistics, consider applying for our TESOL Advanced Certificate program for those with an advanced degree in TESOL or Linguistics.
Contact an Admissions Advisor