TESOL Intensive Teacher Institute (ITI)
The TESOL Intensive Teacher Institute (ITI) program, offered in partnership with the New York State Education Department and New York City Department of Education, offers current content and and classroom teachers the opportunity to achieve additional New York State certification in teaching PreK-12 English to Speakers of Others Language (ESOL). Over a five course sequence, you will learn the skills necessary to teach English to speakers of other languages using specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to native speakers. You will also receive specialized mentoring and coaching feedback throughout the program. Upon successful completion of the program, you will earn New York State certification in ESOL as an additional license.
The TESOL ITI program is only open to certified teachers who are currently teaching in NYC DOE schools. Tuition is significantly subsidized by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). TESOL ITI Cohorts begin coursework each Spring.
Certification: ESOL PreK-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree and hold a New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education, special subjects, students with disabilities, or literacy.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- New York State certification in one of the following areas:
- Early childhood
- Middle childhood
- Adolescent education
- Special subjects
- Students with disabilities
- College coursework in linguistics and English grammar
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following: 6 credits in English, 12 credits in a language other than English at the college level, 6 credits in social studies (with at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement)
- Employment as a teacher in a NYC DOE school
- A letter of recommendation from your principal
- A statement of purpose – Explain why are you interested in pursuing advanced coursework and certification in TESOL.
The application for the Spring 2021 cohort is now open! Please click here to apply. Applications are due November 1st.
Be prepared to upload:
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended
- A screenshot of your TEACH certification(s)
- Your statement of purpose
- A letter of reference from your principal
Please note, accepted applicants will also be required to submit a completed Immunization Form and submit official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions in order to enroll in the ITI program.
Connect with the Office of Partnership Programs Admissions
Assistant Director, Office of Partnership Programs
There are no upcoming events at this time.