This program will prepare you to teach students for whom English is a second language (ESL) in a school setting. You will learn the skills necessary to teach English to speakers of other languages by studying specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to native speakers.
In your coursework, connections to the ESL classroom are emphasized and you will participate in extensive field experiences and practice. Students spend considerable amounts of time observing and participating in educational settings in addition to attending classes at Hunter.
Certification: ESOL PreK-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is for applicants who do not hold New York State teacher certification.
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5
- A liberal arts of sciences major or interdisciplinary concentration of at least 30 credits
- A general education core in liberal arts and sciences to include: 12 credits in foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language, 9 credits in communication and English with at least one course in written analysis and expression and once course in English literature, 9 credits in science and mathematics, with at least one course in math one course in science (a college course in calculus satisfies 6 credits of this requirement), 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in history or geography), 3 credits in the arts
- An on-site oral interview and writing sample may be required
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- Submission of official score report on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
To start your application, click here
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and T.E.S.O.L. (Grades PreK-12) No prior NYS Teacher Cert.
If you hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our master’s degree program in TESOL PreK-12 for NYS Certified Teachers.
If you have Master’s degree and hold New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education; special subjects; students with disabilities; or literacy, consider applying for our Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate in TESOL.
If you have a Master’s degree in TESOL or Linguistics and seek TESOL PreK-12 certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate in TESOL for applicants who hold advanced degrees in TESOL or Linguistics.