TESOL PreK-12 MA for NYS Certified Teachers
This program will prepare you to teach students for whom English is a second language (ESL) in a school setting. You will learn the skills necessary to teach English to speakers of other languages by studying specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to native speakers.
In your coursework, connections to the ESL classroom are emphasized and you will participate in extensive field experiences and practice. Students spend considerable amounts of time observing and participating in educational settings in addition to attending classes at Hunter.
Certification: ESOL PreK-12 (Initial & Professional)
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is for applicants who hold NYS Certification
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5
- 12 credits in foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language
- NYS teacher certification in a subject area other than TESOL, specifically Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, Middle Childhood Education, Adolescent Education, Special Subjects, Students with Disabilities or Literacy
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Recored Examination (GRE) score report
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and T.E.S.O.L. (Grades PreK-12) with prior NYS Teacher Cert.
If you are a certified teacher, hold a Master’s degree, and seek an additional certification in ESOL PreK-12 certification, you may be eligible for the Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate in TESOL
If you have a Master’s degree in TESOL or Linguistics and seek TESOL PreK-12 certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate in TESOL for applicants who hold advanced degrees in TESOL or Linguistics.
Contact an Admissions Advisor