TESOL PreK-12 MA for NYS Certified Teachers
This program will prepare you to teach students for whom English is a second language (ESL) in a school setting. You will learn the skills necessary to teach English to speakers of other languages by studying specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to native speakers.
In your coursework, connections to the English as a Second Language (ESL) classroom are emphasized and you will participate in extensive field experiences and practice. Students spend considerable amounts of time observing and participating in educational settings in addition to attending classes at Hunter.
30 to 36
ESOL PreK-12 (Initial & Professional)
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is for applicants who hold New York State (NYS) Certification
- Bachelor’s degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.5
- 12 credits in a world language other than English documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language
- New York State (NYS) teacher certification in a subject area other than TESOL, specifically Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, Middle Childhood Education, Adolescent Education, Special Subjects, Students with Disabilities or Literacy
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose – Please describe your purpose and objectives in undertaking graduate study in the field of TESOL. Indicate how your talents, skills, and experiences might contribute to the Hunter School of Education community and mission. You may include: diverse cultural experiences, family background, extracurricular activities, accomplishments, career goals, life and work experiences, obstacles you have overcome, or special talents. Explain why the TESOL program is a good fit for your goals.
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Fall 2023, Spring 2024, and Fall 2024 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and T.E.S.O.L. (Grades PreK-12) with prior NYS Teacher Cert.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- May 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you are a certified teacher, hold a Master’s degree, and seek an additional certification in ESOL PreK-12 certification, you may be eligible for the Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate in TESOL
If you have a Master’s degree in TESOL or Linguistics and seek TESOL PreK-12 certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate in TESOL for applicants who hold advanced degrees in TESOL or Linguistics.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Learn More About Clinical Experiences