Visual Impairment – Combined Rehabilitation Teaching and Orientation and Mobility


Program Overview

This master’s program is one of only four in the United States that will prepare you to teach in both specializations of vision rehabilitation therapy (VRT) and orientation and mobility (O&M) to work with individuals who are visually impaired and blind who are visually impaired and blind in adult, residential or non-school agency settings. Employment opportunities are excellent across the United States for professionals who hold dual certification in VRT/O&M. This program uses real-time distance learning instruction with limited on-campus required labs, allowing you to complete your master’s degree from anywhere in the United States.




National certification from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals as a vision rehabilitation therapist (VRT) and a certified orientation and mobility specialist (COMS)

Eligibility and Admission Requirements

  • A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.5
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • A statement of purpose
  • Evidence of work, volunteer or personal experience with individuals with visual impairments
  • An interview with a special education faculty member may be required

Note: International applicants who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not currently eligible for this program.

To Apply

Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.

To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.

When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education -Special Education and Rehabilitation Teaching and Orientation and Mobility.

Application Deadlines

Fall Start

  • March 15 (Priority Deadline)
  • May 15 (Extended Deadline)

Spring Start

  • October 15 (Priority Deadline)
  • November 1 (Extended Deadline)

Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.

Related Programs

If you are interested in pursuing NYS teacher certification, consider applying to our master’s degree program in Blind and Visually Impaired. If you a certified teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired OR hold a Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Teaching or Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired, consider our Advanced Certificate program in Orientation and Mobility. If you are interested in pursuing a program specifically in Rehabilitation Teaching, consider applying for our master’s degree program in Visual Impairment – Rehabilitation Teaching.

Contact an Admissions Advisor

Program Leader

Upcoming Events