Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services
This post-baccalaureate, advanced certificate program trains NYS certified school-based Pupil Personnel Services providers to become effective bilingual practitioners with high levels of competence using two languages of instruction: Spanish/English. Candidates must be employed and working in their area of certification in a bilingual setting at the time of application and during practicum semester.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Bilingual Extension for those with New York State certification in Pupil Personnel Services
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold permanent or professional New York State certification in pupil personnel services.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- Permanent or professional certification in:
- School Administrator
- School Building Leader
- School Counselor
- School Social Worker
- School Psychologist
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 and provisional certification in one of the certification areas listed above.
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish, and an interview conducted in English and Spanish to demonstrate speaking, reading, and writing fluency
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from a supervisor
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services.
- Fall Start: March 15
- Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you have a master’s degree and hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate in Bilingual Education Extension for NYS Teachers.