Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services
This post-baccalaureate, advanced certificate program trains NYS certified school-based Pupil Personnel Services providers to become effective bilingual practitioners with high levels of competence using two languages of instruction: Spanish/English. Candidates must be employed and working in their area of certification in a bilingual setting at the time of application and during the individual supervision semester.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of field experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school.
Bilingual Extension for those with New York State certification in Pupil Personnel Services
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold permanent or professional New York State certification in pupil personnel services.
- All candidates must be employed and working in their area of certification in a bilingual
setting at the time of application and during the Individual Supervision semester.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 and
provisional certification in one of the certification areas listed above.
- Provisional/initial or permanent/professional certification in:
- School Administrator
- School Building Leader
- School Counselor
- School Social Worker
- School Psychologist
- A statement of purpose
- A translated statement of purpose in Spanish
- An on-site writing sample and an interview conducted in English and Spanish
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from a supervisor
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Bilingual Extension for Pupil Personnel Services.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15 (Priority Deadline)
- November 1 (Extended Deadline)
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
CUNY Sponsored Application Fee
Applicants applying to this program by June 30, 2024, will have their application fee sponsored by CUNY.
If you have a master’s degree and hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate in Bilingual Education Extension for NYS Teachers.