Bilingual Childhood Education
This master’s program will prepare you to become an effective teacher using two languages of instruction an elementary school setting. The program is offered in three languages: Spanish/English, French/English, and Chinese/English.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Childhood Education Grades 1-6 with Bilingual Education Extension
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who do not hold New York State teacher certification.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- A liberal arts or sciences major or interdisciplinary concentration of at least 30 credits
- General education core in the liberal arts and sciences including coursework in artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a world language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese and an interview conducted in English and in Spanish, French or Chinese to demonstrate speaking, reading, and writing fluency
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- A translated statement of purpose in the language of instruction you intend to pursue
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Optional for Fall 2022 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Childhood & Early Childhood Education and Childhood Education with Bilingual Ext. (Grades 1-6).
Fall Start: March 15 (Priority Deadline), April 15 (Extended Deadline)
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you hold New York State teacher certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate program in Bilingual Education Extension for NYS Certified Teachers.