Blind and Visually Impaired for NYS Certified Teachers


Program Overview

This master’s program will prepare you to teach learners who are blind or visually impaired in diverse PreK to 12 settings including residential schools for the blind, classroom programs and itinerant teaching settings in public and private schools.


40 to 41


Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired

Eligibility and Admission Requirements

For applicants who hold Early Childhood, Childhood, PreK-Grade 6, Middle Childhood or Adolescent Education NYS certification.

  • A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0; or A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5; plus
  • NYS initial, professional, or permanent certification in Early Childhood, Childhood, PreK-grade 6, Middle Childhood or Adolescent Education. Those holding permanent certification must either show proof that they have satisfied the New York State requirements regarding wellness, child abuse, drug abuse, fire safety, and violence prevention or take HED 715, a 1-credit course covering these topics
  • A statement of purpose
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants). Certified teachers who hold graduate degrees are exempt from this requirement.

Note: International applicants who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa are not currently eligible for this program.

To Apply

Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.

To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.

When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Blind and Visually Impaired with prior NYS Childhood Teacher Cert.

Application Deadlines

Fall Start

  • March 15 (Priority Deadline)
  • April 15 (Extended Deadline)

Spring Start

  • October 15 (Priority Deadline)
  • November 1 (Extended Deadline)

Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.

Related Programs

If you hold a Master’s Degree in Special Education you may be eligible for a one of our Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate programs in Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired or Blind and Visually Impaired – Orientation and Mobility

Contact an Admissions Advisor

Program Leader

L. Beth Brady

Upcoming Events