Graduate Non-Degree Study


The School of Education offers graduate non-degree courses on a limited basis, pending course availability.

Applicants for graduate non-degree study must have a U.S. or U.S.-equivalent bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or better. The maximum number of non-degree credits allowed is 6 credits. Students taking the 4-credit Educational Psychology courses may take up to 8 credits. Students who earn a grade below B will not be permitted to continue taking non-degree courses. Graduate non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Non-Degree Application Deadlines

  • Summer: April 15
  • Fall: July 1
  • Spring: December 1

Application Requirements

Please review and collect all documents below before starting the Graduate Non-Degree Application. Incomplete applications will result in delays in processing and approval for courses.

  1. Copies of all unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts
  2. Proof of Bachelor’s degree conferral (transcript showing graduation date or copy of diploma)
  3. A current resume
  4. A brief statement (250 words) describing your interest in pursuing non-degree graduate study at the School of Education. Applicants who plan to apply to matriculate in a graduate program should indicate their program of interest.
  5. List of approved non-degree course preferences (consult the list below)

The Non-Degree application fee is $75 and will be collected at the time of registration.

Applicants may also need to upload Proof of Name Change documentation.

A TOEFL or IELTS score report is required for applicants with foreign credentials.  Effective June 1, 2021, applicants with foreign credentials who also hold a prior Master’s or Doctoral degree from an English Speaking Institution are exempt from this requirement. 

Minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
  • Overall: 90, Writing Section: 22, Speaking Section: 23
Minimum International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores
  • Overall IELTS: 6.5, Writing: 6.5, Speaking: 7

If you previously completed courses as a non-degree graduate student at Hunter College, but have taken one or more semesters off, you must complete the Graduate Readmission Application form.

Approved Courses

Course descriptions can be found in the Graduate Catalog and meeting times and locations can be found in the CUNY course schedule.

Prospective non-degree graduate students who plan to apply for matriculation to a graduate program are encouraged to visit the Academics program page to confirm that non-degree courses are aligned with their anticipated graduate program.

Non-degree sections of graduate courses in CUNYfirst are indicated by a note in Schedule Builder: Open only to Grad Non-Degree Student with subplan: NDEDUC. The semesters in which courses are generally open to non-degree students are listed next to the course name below. Note that course availability is not guaranteed.

Course List

  • BILED 70100 Foundations of Bilingual Education (Summer, Fall, Spring)
  • CEDF 70600 Social Historical, Historical Founds, The American School (Summer, Fall, Spring)
  • CEDC 70700 The Arts: An Interdisciplinary Learning Experience (Fall, Spring)
  • CEDC 71600 Educational Technology (Spring)
  • ECF 70100 Social and Historical Context of Early Childhood (Fall, Spring)
  • EDESL 70217 – TESOL: Advanced Grammar (Summer Session I 2024)
  • EDESL 78200 Methods in Teaching English as a Second Language – Adult (Fall)
  • EDLIT 73000 Language, Literacy and Culture, Grades 1-12 (Fall, Spring)
  • EDLIT 73300 Theories and Process of Teaching Writing: PreK-Grade 6 (Fall, Spring) (This course is intended for certified teachers. In addition, the course participants need to work in a school setting to complete field-based course assignments.)
  • EDLIT 73500 Survey of Instructional Approaches in Literacy Education: Grades K-12 (Fall, Spring)
  • EDLIT 73900 Literacy Instruction for Struggling Readers and Writers Prek-6 (Fall, Spring)
  • EDLIT 75300 Methods of Teaching Writing Grades 5-12 (Fall)
  • EDLIT 75500 Literacy Instruction for Struggling Readers and Writers: Grades 5-12 (Fall, Spring)
  • EDPS 70300 Learning & Behavior Theories (Fall)
  • EDABA 79500 Applied Behavior Analysis 1 (Fall)
  • EDABA 79800 Behavior Analytic Approaches to Learning (Fall, Spring)
  • SEDC 71000 Building the Foundations of Literacy in Adolescent Education (Summer, Fall, Spring)
  • SEDF 70300 Social Foundation of Adolescent Education (Fall, Spring)
  • SPED 70050 Social, Historical, and Philosophical Foundations of General and Special Education (Fall, Spring)
  • SPED 70100 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (Fall, Spring)
  • SPED 70200 Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (Fall, Spring)
  • SPEDE 76800 Fostering Development of Young Children with Diverse Abilities: Historical, Political and Inclusive Perspectives (Fall, Spring)

After Submitting your Application

  • The School of Education will conduct an eligibility review.
  • If your request to take courses is approved, you will receive information about the next steps 2-3 weeks before the start of the semester.
  • Registration for non-degree students opens 2 weeks before the start of the semester. There is no guarantee that courses will be available.
  • Graduate non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

More information including the Hunter College Graduate Student Non-degree Policy can be found on the Graduate Admissions website.

Contact for assistance with submitting your application.