Childhood Education with a Specialization in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
This master’s degree program will help you enhance your teaching of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) subjects in the elementary grades.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Professional Certification in Childhood Education Grades 1-6
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold New York State teacher certification in Childhood Education.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- NYS initial, professional or permanent certification in Childhood Education
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- Successful completion with a grade of C or better of a college-level mathematics course and a lab science course. Those who do not meet the mathematics requirement must successfully complete MATH 104 and MATH 105 in the School of Arts and Sciences. Those who do not meet the science requirement must take a one-semester course in lab science (biology, chemistry, physics, or geology)
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Fall 2023 applicants). Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement
Applications are accepted each Fall semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Childhood & Early Childhood Education and Childhood Education with a Specialization in STEM.
CUNY Sponsored Application Fee
Applicants who submit an application prior to December 31, 2022 are eligible for a sponsored application fee.
Fall Start: March 15 (Priority Deadline), May 1 (Extended Deadline)
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not hold New York State teacher certification in Childhood Education, consider applying for our master’s degree program in Childhood Education.