Literacy (Birth to Grade 6)
This master’s degree program will prepare you to become a teacher of literacy and reading in early childhood or elementary school settings.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school.
Literacy Birth to Grade 6
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold New York State teacher certification in Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, PreK-Grade 6, TESOL, or Special Education.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.5
- New York State (NYS) initial, professional, or permanent certification in Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, PreK to Grade 6, TESOL or Special Education
- Two letters of recommendation including one from a supervisor
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants). Certified teachers or administrators who already possess a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
- On-site writing sample and interview after the application is reviewed
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Childhood and Early Childhood Education and Literacy (Birth to Grade 6).
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Learn More About Clinical Experiences