Dual Certification-Childhood Special Education: Severe/Multiple Disabilities
This graduate program will prepare you to work with learners with significant, severe/multiple disabilities in both self-contained special education classrooms and inclusive general education environments through the principles of Universal Design for Learning. You will learn to use strategies to teach communication skills to learners with cerebral palsy (CP), traumatic brain injury (TBI), deafblindness, autism spectrum disorders (ASD), and intellectual disabilities using augmentative and alternative communication devices (AAC), tangible symbols, and other assistive technology (AT). Graduates from this program go on to work as specialized teachers of learners with severe disabilities, including deafblindness, in NYC’s District 75, as inclusion support providers (SETTS or SEIT), and as collaborative team teachers with general education teachers in both public and private schools, private early intervention agencies, hospitals, and clinics.
Certification: Childhood Education Grades 1-6, and Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6 with an extension annotation in Severe and Multiple Disabilities
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- A liberal arts or science major or interdisciplinary concentration of at least 30 credits
- General education core in the liberal arts and sciences including coursework in artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education, and Severe and Multiple Disabilities no prior NYS Teacher Cert.
If you have New York State Teacher Certification in Childhood Education, you may be eligible for the Childhood Special Education: Severe/Multiple Disabilities program for NYS Certified Teachers.
If you have a Master’s Degree and New York State Teacher Certification in Special Education, you may be eligible for the Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate program in Severe and Multiple Disabilities.