Adolescent Special Education Advanced Certificate
This program is designed for teachers with New York State certification in a content area at the adolescent level—such as Mathematics, Science, English Language Arts or Social Studies or Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6, and will prepare you to become a special education generalist in Grades 7-12. This program begins each Summer and can be completed in 3 semesters—Summer, Fall, Spring.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study.
Certification: Students with Disabilities Grades 7-12
Eligibility & Admissions Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold certification in Childhood Special Education Grades 1-6 or Adolescent Education Grades 7-12
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- New York State initial, professional or permanent certification in:
- Childhood Special Education, Grades 1-6
- Adolescent Education, Grades 7-12
- A distribution of at least 24 liberal arts and sciences credits as follows: 6 credits English, 6 credits in History and Social Sciences, 6 credits in Science, 6 credits in Math
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from a supervisor or academic professor
Applications are accepted November – April for a Summer start.
To start your application, click here
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education, and Adv. Cert in Adolescent Special Ed (Grades 7-12)-Specialized Addl Cert. For desired start term, select Fall.
Fall Start: March 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you hold certification in Students with Disabilities Birth-Grade 2 or Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6 and hope to earn professional certification, consider applying for our Professional Certification program in Special Education (Advanced Preparation).