CLASS Track (School Building/School District Leader Certification)
This master’s degree program is designed to prepare New York State certified teachers and pupil personnel service providers for roles in administration and supervision of preK-grade 12 educational settings.
Coursework & Fieldwork:
CLASS is a clinically rich program, embedding coursework and fieldwork seamlessly as participants lead change at the student, adult and system level beginning with the first semester. CLASS is a cohort-model led by the same instructor, fully integrating related concepts, such as law and state policy, to core fieldwork/internship assignments. Guest speakers round out the program. This model supports a mastery-based approach with feedback that focuses on the participants’ growth as well as the assignment itself. There is a special focus on developing collaborative leadership for equity-driven improvement. Courses take place on one afternoon/evening per week.
Upon successful completion of the two-year program, graduates will receive a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and recommendation for New York State School Building Leader (SBL) and School District Leader (SDL) certifications.
Certification: School Building Leader and School District Leader
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree and hold permanent or professional NYS certification as a teacher or pupil personnel service provider within grades PreK-12.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- Permanent or professional NYS certification as a teacher or pupil personnel service provider within grades PreK-12
- A minimum of three years of approved teaching and/or school service within grades PreK-12 under regular appointment (or its equivalent for counselors, social workers, and school psychologists) or two years approved teaching and/or school service and at least one year of relevant management/leadership experience
- Two letters of recommendations, including a letter of support from your current principal
- On-site writing test and oral interview
- A statement of purpose. Include your first and last name, and “CLASS APPLICANT” in your header.
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test score report is required for applicants who do not hold NYS teacher certification
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Educational Leadership (SBL/SDL). Indicate in your statement of purpose that you are applying for the CLASS Cohort.
If you are interested in the ADSUP track of the Educational Leadership program, click here.
If you already hold New York State SBL certification, consider applying for our Advanced Certificate program in School District Leadership.