How to declare a UTEP major
Declaring an Education Major
Students must be approved by the School of Education to declare an Education major. Education majors typically have cumulative GPAs of 3.0 or better, perform well across all subject areas, are mature, demonstrate professional readiness and are committed to supporting the development of children or adolescents.
Evaluate your Academic Standing and Eligibility
- How many credits have you completed?
- Early Childhood and Childhood majors should have completed 15-60 credits before beginning the education sequence
- Adolescent, Music and Dance majors should have completed 45-75 credits before beginning the education sequence
- What is your GPA?
- Education majors must maintain and graduate with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Have you declared your first major in the School of Arts and Sciences? Education is a second major for undergraduate students.
- Adolescent Education, Music and Dance require the first major to be in the subject you want to teach.
Steps to Request to Declare an Education Major
- Attend a UTEP Information Session
- Complete the Education Major Interest Form
- An interview with faculty may be required
- Wait to receive the results of your eligibility review. Results will be sent to your MyHunter email account. Seats in our Education majors are limited. Unfortunately, not all eligible students are offered a seat in an education major.
- If approved, you will receive an email outlining the next steps, including attending a Program Advising session and completing major declaration paperwork. Students not eligible to declare an education major will receive support to apply to a graduate program in education.
Upcoming Information Sessions
There are no upcoming events at this time.