Early Childhood Education for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s program will prepare you to teach in a variety of educational settings within the birth to grade 2 levels. It is recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
30 to 35
Early Childhood Education (Birth to Grade 2)
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
For applicants who hold NYS certification in Childhood Education, Common Branches PreK- Grade 6, Childhood or Early Childhood Special Education, or TESOL
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.5
- NYS initial, professional, or permanent certification in Childhood Education, Pre-K to Grade 6, Students with Disabilities Birth to Grade 2 or Grades 1 to 6, or TESOL
- A statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 applicants). Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
For applicants who have NYS certification, select School of Education – Childhood and Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 2) with prior NYS Teacher cert.
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you hold initial NYS certification in Early Childhood Education, consider our programs in Bilingual Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Literacy (Birth – Grade 6), or TESOL.
If you hold a Master’s degree and certification in Childhood Education, and wish to obtain an additional certificate in Early Childhood, you may be eligible for our Specialized Additional Teaching Certificate program in Early Childhood Education.