Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Early Childhood Special Education) for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s program will prepare you to support infants, toddlers, preschoolers and early elementary children in inclusive, integrated, and self-contained classrooms, as well as homes and communities.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Credits: 36 credits
Certification: Students with Disabilities (Birth-Grade 2)
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who hold NYS certification in Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 2
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0;
or a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.5
- NYS certification in Early Childhood Education or PreK-Grade 6. Those holding permanent certification must either show proof that they have satisfied the New York State requirements regarding wellness, child abuse, drug abuse, fire safety, and violence prevention or take HED 71500, a one-credit course covering these topics
- A statement of purpose (500 – 1,000 words) that addresses the following prompts:
- Describe your understanding of what it means to be an early interventionist/early childhood special educator and your personal vision for the field of early intervention/early childhood special education
- Share your reason for pursuing a career in early intervention/early childhood special education and what led you to this career
- Describe your prior experiences with young children and/or children in special education in your responses to the above
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report. Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and ECDL for NYS certified teachers (leads to Students with Disabl. B-2 Cert).
CUNY Sponsored Application Fee
Fall 2020 applicants to this program will have their $75 application fee sponsored by CUNY.
If you hold NYS certification in an area other than Early Childhood Education, Birth – Grade 2, and seek certification in Early Childhood Special Education, consider our Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Early Childhood Special Education Dual Certification) program.
If you hold initial NYS certification in Students with Disabilities, Birth – Grade 2, and are seeking professional certification, consider our master’s program in Professional Certification (Advanced Preparation) in Special Education.
If you hold a Master’s Degree and NYS certification in Early Childhood Education, consider our Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families (Early Childhood Special Education) Advanced Certificate.