Professional Certification (Advanced Preparation) in Childhood Special Education-Behavior Disorders for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s degree program is designed for teachers who hold initial certification in Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2 or Grades 1-6) and who seek to further their knowledge and skills in special education.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Professional Certification in Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- NYS initial or professional certification in students with disabilities grades 1-6 or birth to grade 2 or NYS permanent certification in special education, K-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree in special education (any age-level) with a GPA of at least 3.5
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose that references your interest in Behavior Disorders
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report. Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Professional Cert in Special Ed. Please note your interest in Behavior Disorders in your statement of purpose.
If you do not hold Initial NYS Certification in Students with Disabilities, review other programs in Special Education.