Professor of Special Education, Program Leader - Behavior Disorders
Monday 6:30-9:30pm; Wednesday 4-5pm
Tom McIntyre, Ph.D, a long-time teacher of students with behavior disorders and learning disabilities, serves now as Coordinator of the Graduate Program in Behavior Disorders. He is the past President of Teacher Educators of Children with Behavior Disorders, and the New York State Council for Children with Behavior Disorders. His award-winning “BehaviorAdvisor.com” is the internet’s most visited behavior management web site.
Dr. McIntyre is a recipient of the Hunter College Presidential Award for Overall Excellence as a Professor. He has also received Outstanding Leadership Awards from the Association of New York Educators of the Emotionally Disturbed, and the New York Council for Exceptional Children
- University of Connecticut Ph.D., Special Education (Emotional Disturbance/Behavior Disorders)
- Rutgers University M.Ed., Special Education
- State University College at Buffalo B.S., Childhood Development/Preschool Education
Dr. McIntyre, a recipient of the Ladas Award for Exemplary Teaching, teaches coursework in classroom management, the study of behavior disorders, and methods for teaching students with emotional and behavioral disorders. He consults widely with school districts in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Classroom Behavior Management
- Study of Behavior Disorders
- Methods and Materials for Students with Behavior Disorders
Presently, Dr. McIntyre’s research focuses on assessing and increasing the willingness to change one’s behavior in youngsters with externalizing behavior disorders.
- McIntyre, T. (in press) THINK THIINNK for educators. ReThinking Behavior.
- McIntyre, T. & Currigan, S. (2019) How to turn around challenging behavior: Advice from an expert. https://beaconschoolsupport.co.uk/newsletters/how-to-turn-around-challenging-behaviour-advice-from-an-expert
- McIntyre, T. (2018). Truisms of Teachers of Students with Behavioral Needs. ReThinking Behavior, 1 (3), 53-54.
- McIntyre, T. (2017). Defusing refusing: Reaching and teaching students who display resistant, defiant & confrontational behavior. (Part 1) (blog post on www.FreeSpirit.com) (A “Top 5” Blog post on this site.)
- McIntyre, T. (2017). Defusing refusing: Reaching and teaching students who display resistant, defiant & confrontational behavior. (Part 2) (blog post on www.FreeSpirit.com)
- McIntyre, T. (2017). Defusing refusing: Reaching and teaching students who display resistant, defiant & confrontational behavior. (Part 3) (blog post on www.FreeSpirit.com)
- McIntyre, T. (2015). Supporting students with ADHD. (blog post on www.FreeSpirit.com) http://freespiritpublishingblog.com/2015/09/24/supporting-students-with-adhd/
- McIntyre, T. (2014). The Behavior Survival Guide for Kids with Behavior Challenges: How to Make Good Choices and Stay Out of Trouble. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Press.
- McIntyre, T., Barowsky, E. & Tong, V. (2011). The Psychological, Behavioral, and Educational Impact of Immigration: Helping Recent Immigrant Students to Succeed in North American Schools. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals (JAASEP), Fall, 4-21.
- Barowsky, E. & McIntyre, T. (2010). Migration and relocation trauma of young refugees and asylum seekers. Childhood Education, 86 (3) 161-168.