Adolescent English Advanced Certificate
This post-master’s advanced certificate program will prepare you to teach English Language Arts to middle school and high school students of diverse backgrounds, abilities and interests in grades 7 to 12.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Adolescent English Education Grades 7 to 12
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree in English.
- An undergraduate major of at least 30 credits in English, and a master’s degree in English with a GPA of at least 3.3 from an accredited institution
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a world language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes; and written analysis and expression
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education- Adolescent Education and Post Master’s Cert. in Adolescent Education English (Grades 7-12).
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not have a master’s degree in English, consider applying for our master’s degree program in Adolescent English.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Learn More About Clinical Experiences