Adolescent Social Studies Advanced Certificate
This post-master’s advanced certificate program will prepare you to teach Social Studies to middle school and high school students of diverse backgrounds, abilities and interests in grades 7 to 12.
Coursework and Fieldwork
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
26 to 27
Adolescent Social Studies Education Grades 7 to 12
Admission and Eligibility Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree in history, political science, geography, or economics.
- A master’s degree in the discipline (history, political science, geography, or economics) with a GPA of at least 3.3 from an accredited institution
- An undergraduate major of at least 30 credits in one of the areas of social studies. Coursework must include 12 credits of history, 3 credits in geography, 3 credits in political science, and 3 credits in economics. The coursework in history must include at least one course in each of the following areas: U.S. history, European history, and world or non-Western history
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a world language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants)
Applications are accepted each Fall and Spring semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Adolescent Education and Post Master’s Cert. in Adolescent Education Social Studies (Grades 7-12).
- March 15 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
- October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not have a master’s degree in history, political science, geography or economics, consider applying for our master’s degree program in Adolescent Social Studies.