Music Education at Hunter College enables musicians and music educators to share their creative passions with the next generation. You will receive individualized guidance from premier music and education faculty, and will develop practical classroom teaching skills alongside a foundation in pedagogical theory. Field placements in New York City public schools will provide you with hands-on training in the use of arts education to foster intellectual and social growth. By the time you graduate, you will be able to build effective curricula and engage a diverse range of students in K-12 school settings.
Credits: 25-26 credits in Education completed over 4 semesters, 42 credits in Music, plus 15-21 additional graduate credits in Music.
Certification: Music Education (K-12)
Eligibility Requirements to Declare Your Major
- Attend a UTEP Information Session
- Complete the Education Major Interest Form
- An interview/audition with faculty may be required. Contact the Music Department to schedule an audition.
- Minimum of at least 60 credits but no more than 90 credits completed by the first semester in the education program (Prospective Music Education students may complete the major interest form after earning 45 credits.)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Evidence of advanced writing ability through a review of English Composition and writing intensive coursework
- Declaration of a major in music.
Eligibility and Capacity
Seats in our Education majors are limited. Unfortunately, not all eligible students are offered a seat in an education major. Candidates who are not able to pursue an education are encouraged to make an appointment with an Graduate Education Admissions Advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org to prepare to submit an application to a master’s degree program.
Connect with a Pre-Major Advisor