Professional Certification (Advanced Preparation) in Early Childhood Special Education for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s degree program is designed for teachers who hold initial certification in Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2 or Grades 1-6) and who seek to further their knowledge and skills in special education. This program will prepare you to support infants, toddlers, preschoolers and early elementary children and their families. You will be prepared to practice in inclusive, integrated, and self-contained classrooms, as well as homes and communities.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Select courses have required fieldwork hours in classrooms, homes, or community settings. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study.
Certification: Professional Certification in Students with Disabilities Birth – Grade 2
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- NYS initial or professional certification in students with disabilities grades 1-6 or birth to grade 2 or NYS permanent certification in special education, K-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree in special education (any age level) with a GPA of at least 3.5
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose that references your interest in Early Childhood Special Education
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants). Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Professional Cert in Special Ed. Please note your interest in Early Childhood Education in your statement of purpose.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not hold Initial NYS Certification in Students with Disabilities, review other programs in Special Education.