Professional Certification (Advanced Preparation) in Childhood Special Education-Learning Disabilities for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s degree program is designed for teachers who hold initial certification in Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2 or Grades 1-6) and who seek to further their knowledge and skills in special education.
Coursework & Fieldwork: Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. Some courses may be available in an online or hybrid format. Select courses have required hours of classroom experience (fieldwork) in a New York City public school. Students also participate in supervised teaching (student teaching and/or practicum) as the culmination of their course of study. Student teaching and/or practicum requires five full days per week for at least one semester.
Certification: Professional Certification in Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- NYS initial or professional certification in students with disabilities grades 1-6 or birth to grade 2 or NYS permanent certification in special education, K-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree in special education (any age level) with a GPA of at least 3.5
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose that references your interest in Learning Disabilities
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Optional for Fall 2022 applicants). Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Professional Cert in Special Ed. Please note your interest in Learning Disabilities in your statement of purpose.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not hold Initial NYS Certification in Students with Disabilities, consider our other programs in Special Education.