Mental Health Counseling Advanced Certificate
The Mental Health Counseling Advanced Certificate is a one-year program that prepares graduates of the Hunter College Rehabilitation Counseling program to acquire additional knowledge and training in Mental Health Counseling, which will make them eligible for the Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) credential in New York State.
Coursework and Clinical Experiences
Courses are offered in the afternoon and evening. A minimum of 600 hours of fieldwork are completed over two semesters. Candidates are responsible for identifying a field site that meets licensure requirements.
Professional Mental Health Counseling licensure in New York State
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
- A master’s degree in Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling or Rehabilitation Counseling from Hunter College
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 and above
- Evidence of written expression consonant with graduate-level study
- A statement of purpose (400 to 600 words) that addresses the following prompt: Please describe your professional training, experience and goals. Explain how this certificate program fits in to your professional plans.
- An additional essay (400 to 600 words) that addresses the following prompt: Please discuss your fieldwork plan, including:
- Proposed internship site (Agency name, website and description)
- Proposed internship supervision (Site supervisor, credential, email and phone number)
- Roles and responsibilities will you have at the fieldwork site
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters from Hunter college full-time counseling faculty are preferred.
Upon admission to the program, candidates are required to complete the Fieldwork Application no later than May 24, 2022. Candidates who do not complete the fieldwork application will not be able to register for fieldwork courses.
Applications are accepted each Fall semester.
To start your application, visit the Hunter College Online Application.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Mental Health Counseling.
- February 1 (Priority Deadline)
- April 15 (Extended Deadline)
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.