Jen Yung-Chen Chiu
Assistant Professor of Counseling
Dr. Chiu is an Assistant Professor of Counseling who joined Hunter College in 2017. Dr. Chiu received both of her Master’s and Doctorate degrees from the Pennsylvania State University in Counselor Education and Supervision, with a specialization in Rehabilitation Counseling. Dr. Chiu is a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor. She has worked and volunteered in the field of vocational rehabilitation, career counseling, college disability services, and mental health counseling in a variety of settings. Dr. Chiu was also a pre-doctoral fellow for a HIV prevention and retention project funded by the Pennsylvania Department Health. Dr. Chiu also work with AIDS Institute of New York State Department of Health to conduct a state-wide survey study. Dr. Chiu currently serves as a faculty advisor for the Mu Sigma Rho chapter of the Chi Sigma Iota counseling academic and professional honor society.
- Ph.D. Counselor Education, The Pennsylvania State University
- M.Ed. Counselor Education (Speciality Area: Rehabilitation Counseling), The Pennsylvania State University
- B.S. Occupational Therapy, National Cheng Kung University (Taiwan)
- COCO 701 Counseling Skills and Interviewing Techniques
- COCO 702 Theories of Counseling
- COCO 707 Multicultural Aspects of Counseling
- COCO 712 Career Counseling, assessment, and placement
- COCO 718 Practicum in Counseling
- Vocational rehabilitation for people living with HIV, mental illness, and chronic illness
- College students with disabilities
- Multicultural counseling and multicultural education
- Eshak, T. B., Parker, L., Chiu, Y.-C., Isadore, K. M., Zhai, Y., Banerjee, R., & Conyers, L. M. (2022). Addressing the Syndemic Effects of Incarceration: The Role of Rehabilitation Counselors in Public Health. Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education, 36(1), 15–33. https://doi.org/10.1891/RE-21-22
- Chiu, Y.C., Boomer, KB., Conyers, L.M., Wang, Y. & Misrok, M. (2021). Examining the relationships between social determinants of health and health-related quality of life among individuals living with HIV. Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education, 35, 3, 21-27.
- Conyers, L.M., Chiu, Y.C., Rueda, S., Misrok, M., Lynn, V., & McKinney-Prupis, E. (2021). Employment as a Social Determinant of HIV Care and Prevention Outcomes IntechOpen, doi: 10.5772/intechopen.98418. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/online-first/77120
- Chiu, Y.C., Conyers, L.M., Eissenstat, S., & Misrok, M. (2020). Foundations for Living: Evaluation of an integrated employment and housing program for people living with HIV. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin. Online First. Available at https://doi.org/10.1177/0034355220962175
- Chiu, Y.C., Chang, H.Y., Johnson, A., Nascimento, M., Herbert, T.J., & Niu, X. (2019). Impact of disability services and other factors on academic achievement among college Students with disabilities. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 32(3), 227-245.
- Chiu, Y.C., Boomer, KB. & Conyers, L.M (2018). The Impact of Psychosocial Factors on Health and Retention Outcomes for People Living with HIV: Implications for Rehabilitation Counselors and Educators. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 61(3), 1-14
- Coduti, W.A., Herbert, J.T., Chiu, Y.C., & Doke, D. (2017). College preparation program for high school youth who are blind: The Summer Academy. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 30(3), 269-282.
- Conyers, L.M., Chiu, Y.C., Shamburger-Rousseau, A., Johnson, V., & Misrok, M. (2014). Common Threads: An integrated HIV prevention and vocational development intervention for African American women living with HIV/AIDS, Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice. Available online: http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/jhdrp/vol7/iss7/9
- Conyers, L.M., Smal, P. & Chiu, Y.C. (2013). Addressing the career-related needs of women with disabilities. In Strauser, D. (Ed), Career Development, Employment and Disability in Rehabilitation: From theory to Practice (pp.431-448). Springer Publishing, New York, NY 10036
- PSC-CUNY Research Award (2018, 2019, 2021)
- CUNYFaculty Publication Faculty Fellowship (2020)
- Hunter College Presidential Fund for Faculty Advancement Award (2019)
- The AIDS Institute Research funds for the Employment Needs Survey Study (2020), New York State Department of Health