Professional Certification (Advanced Preparation) in Special Education for NYS Certified Teachers
This master’s degree program is designed for teachers who hold initial certification in Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2 or Grades 1-6) and who seek to further their knowledge and skills in special education.
This program offers three concentrations leading to Professional Certification in Students with Disabilities
- Childhood Special Education: Learning Disabilities (Certification in Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6)
- Childhood Special Education: Behavior Disorders (Certification in Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6)
- Early Childhood Special Education (Certification in Students with Disabilities Birth to Grade 2)
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- NYS initial or professional certification in students with disabilities grades 1-6 or birth to grade 2 or NYS permanent certification in special education, K-12
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree in special education (any age level) with a GPA of at least 3.5
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose that references your interest in your concentration
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report (Waived for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants). Certified teachers who hold a graduate degree are exempt from this requirement.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program under Program of Study, select School of Education – Special Education and Professional Cert in Special Ed. Please note your concentration in your statement of purpose.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
Contact an Admissions Advisor
Childhood Special Education: Learning Disabilities
Childhood Special Education: Behavior Disorders
Early Childhood Special Education