NYC Teaching Collaborative – Childhood Special Education D75 (MSEd)
Welcome to the NYC Teaching Collaborative – Childhood Special Education D75 (MSEd) program home page. Use this page as a guide to the program from acceptance to graduation.
The New York City Teaching Collaborative is an alternative certification program leading to New York State teacher certification. The Teaching Collaborative is offered in partnership with the New York City Department of Education. Participants, or Partner Teachers, spend a full spring semester as an apprentice in a high-need NYC public school before becoming a full-time teacher. During this apprentice semester, Partner Teachers are supervised, mentored, and coached by Collaborative Coaches, who are experienced classroom teachers. Partner Teacher enroll in a master’s program and receive continuous supervision and professional development through Hunter and the Teaching Collaborative program. Tuition costs are subsidized at approximately 50% by the NYCDOE and students are not responsible for any tuition payments until they begin teaching full-time and earning a full-time teacher’s salary. Upon successful completion of the program, students earn a master’s degree and are eligible for New York State initial teacher certification.
- Elizabeth Klein (Faculty Advisor)
- Daniel Hernandez (Assistant Director, Office of Partnership Programs)
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with an advisor, please select from the options below.
If you have general questions or need to follow up on a submitted form email email@example.com.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- SPED 700 Issues and Practices in Educating Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 781 Reading for Students with Learning Disabilities Grades 1-6, Methods 1 (3 credits)
- Pre-Service Fieldwork
- CEDF 709 Child Development Grades 1 – 6 (3 credits)
- SPED 702 Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- SPED 70450 Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Students (3 credits)
- SPED 724 Writing for Students with Learning Disabilities (2 credits)
First Fall – Full-time Teaching
- SPED 78651 Practicum Part 1 (1.5 credits)
- SPED 701 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
First Winter – Full-time Teaching
- SPED 723 Math for Students with Learning Disabilities (2 credits)
Second Spring – Full-time Teaching
- SPED 78652 Practicum Part 2 (1.5 credits)
Choose one specialization focus (3 credits):
- EDABA 799 Applied Behavior Analytic Autism Intervention (3 credits)
- SPED 751 Methods and Materials for Teaching Students with Behavior Disorders
- Severe and Multiple Disabilities Module
- CEDC 70450 Teaching Developmental Reading (3 credits)
- CEDC 70550 Mathematics Curriculum and Methods (3 credits)
- CEDC 72250 Social Studies Curriculum and Instruction: Integrating Literature, the Arts, and Technology (2 credits)
- CEDC 70350 Teaching Science in the Elementary School (3 credits)
Second Fall – Full-time Teaching
- SPED 777 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities Part 1 (1.5 credits)
Second Spring – Full-time Teaching
- SPED 777 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities – Part 2 (1.5 credits)