Yonkers Teacher Academy – Adolescent Special Education (MSEd)
Welcome to the Yonkers Teacher Academy home page! Use this page as a guide to the program from acceptance to graduation.
Yonkers Teacher Academy is a 2-year Master’s program to prepare adolescent Special Education teachers to work in Yonkers Public Schools and earn New York State certification. Candidates are employed in Yonkers Public Schools as full-time teachers for the duration of their Master’s program under Trans B certification; upon successful completion of the program, candidates receive a Master’s degree from Hunter College and are eligible for initial certification. Tuition is subsidized by Yonkers Public Schools.
The program advisor will discuss the specific course of study with each cohort prior to course registration. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- SPED 70050 Social, Historical, and Philosophical Foundations of General and Special Education (3 credits)
- SPED 70200 Classroom Management in Special Education and Inclusive Settings (3 credits)
- SPED 70100 Assessment of Students with Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 70450 Issues in Teaching English Second Language Learners with Special Education Needs (3 credits)
- SPED 77100 Methods of Teaching Reading for Adolescents with Learning Disabilities (3 credits)
- SPED 77550 or SPED 78900 Supervised Practicum: Grades 7-12 (2 credits)
- SPED 77300 Math Methods for Adolescents with Disabilities (2 credits)
- SPED 77600 Writing & Executive Function for Adolescents with Learning Disabilities (2 credits)
- SEDC 71600 Math Curriculum and Methods – Grades 7-12 (3 credits)
- SEDF 71400 Adolescent Development and Learning – Grades 7-12 (3 credits)
- SPED 78000 The Study of Learning Disabilities in Children and Adolescents (3 credits)
- SEDC 71800 Science Curriculum and Methods – Grades 7-12 (3 credits)
- EDLIT 75500 Literacy Instruction for Struggling Readers and Writers: Grades 5-12 (3 credits)
- SPED 77700 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities (KC) (1.5 credits) (Part 1)
- SEDC 71700 Social Studies Curriculum and Methods – Grades 7-12 (3 credits)
- SPED 77700 Supervised Clinical Teaching of Students with Learning Disabilities (KC) (1.5 credits) (Part 2)
Total credits: 42