NYC Teaching Collaborative – Bilingual (MSEd)
Welcome to the NYC Teaching Collaborative – Bilingual (MSEd) program home page. Use this page as a guide to the program from acceptance to graduation.
The New York City Teaching Collaborative is an alternative certification program leading to New York State teacher certification. The Teaching Collaborative is offered in partnership with the New York City Department of Education. Participants, or Partner Teachers, spend a full spring semester as an apprentice in a high-need NYC public school before becoming a full-time teacher. During this apprentice semester, Partner Teachers are supervised, mentored, and coached by Collaborative Coaches, who are experienced classroom teachers. Partner Teacher enroll in a master’s program and receive continuous supervision and professional development through Hunter and the Teaching Collaborative program. Tuition costs are subsidized at approximately 50% by the NYCDOE and students are not responsible for any tuition payments until they begin teaching full-time and earning a full-time teacher’s salary. Upon successful completion of the program, students earn a master’s degree and are eligible for New York State initial teacher certification.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with an advisor, please select from the options below.
If you have general questions or need to follow up on a submitted form email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program advisor will notify students of their cohort’s particular course of study before registering for classes. Course sequence is subject to change. To view course descriptions, progress standards and exit requirements visit the catalog.
- BILED 701 Foundations of Bilingual Education (3 credits)
- BILED 779 Multicultural Education (3 credits)
- CEDC 704 Teaching Developmental Reading (3 credits)
- SPED 708 Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive settings (3 credits)
First Fall – Full-time Teaching
- BILED 787 Practicum Part 1 (1 credit)
- BILED 711 Bilingual Literacy – Spanish (2 credits)
- BILED 711.5 Fieldwork in Bilingual Literacy (1 credit)
Second Spring – Full-time Teaching
- BILED 778 Instruction Through the Native Language-Spanish (3 credits)
- CEDC 705 Mathematics Curriculum and Methods (3 credits)
- BILED 787 Practicum Part 2 (1 credit)
- CEDC 722.50 Social Studies Curriculum and Instruction: Integrating Literature, the Arts, and Technology (2 credits)
- CEDF 709 Child Development Grades 1 – 6 (3 credits)
Second Fall – Full-time Teaching
- BILED 717 Language Assessment for English Language Learners (3 credits)
- CEDC 703 Teaching Science in the Elementary School (3 credits)
- BILED 788 Practicum Part 1 (1 credit)
Third Spring – Full-time Teaching
- BILED 771 Psychology of Language Learning and Teaching (2 credits)
- BILED 788 Practicum Part 2 (1 credit)
Total credits: 38