Alexander W. Fietzer
Professor Fietzer is a licensed psychologist who has worked at various clinical sites around New York City including hospitals, college counseling centers, mental health clinics, acquired brain injury clinics, and career counseling centers. He has received formal training in cognitive behavioral therapy for psychosis and psychoanalytic approaches to therapy. His research interests include multicultural issues, social justice issues, and clinical work with individuals diagnosed with psychotic disorders. He has been published in Counselor Education & Supervision, The Counseling Psychologist, and Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2002
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2008
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology, Fordham University, 2013
- COCO 709 Research methodology in counseling
- COCO 708 Measurement and appraisal
- COCO 719 Individual supervision
- COCO 725 Counseling internship I
- COCO 726 Counseling internship II
- COUNM 716 Foundations of mental health counseling
- COUNM 717 Psychopathology and diagnosis
- COCO 719 Individual Supervision
My current research interests include multicultural counseling competency skill development, individual differences in multicultural adjustment, social justice activism, and cognitive factors influencing schizophrenia.
- Korol, L., Fietzer, A. W., & Bevelander, P. (2022). Are immigrants scapegoats? The reciprocal relationships between subjective well-being, political distrust, and anti-immigrant attitudes in young adulthood. Psychological Reports. Advance online: https://doi.org/10.1177/0033294121106595
- Fietzer, A. W., & Ponterotto, J. G. (2022). Item response analysis, invariance, and validation of the Multicultural Personality Inventory (MPI). The Counseling Psychologist, 50(7), 942-980. https:doi.org/10.1177/001100002211067
- Na, G., & Fietzer, A. W. (2020). Social justice behavior in counselors: Reports from a national survey. Journal of Counseling & Development, 98(3), 319-330. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcad.12326
- Herrera, S., & Fietzer, A. W. (2019). What’s the risk? The frequency of false positives in psychosis-risk screening instruments. Psychological Services. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ser0000363. Impact factor: 1.677
- Korol, L., Fietzer, A. W., & Ponterotto, J. G. (2018). The relationship between multicultural personality, intergroup contact, and positive outgroup attitudes toward Asian Americans. Asian American Journal of Psychology. Advance online publication: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/aap0000107
- Fietzer, A. W., Mitchell, E., & Ponterotto, J. G. (2018). Multicultural personality and
multicultural counseling competencies in masters level counseling trainees. Counselor Education & Supervision, 57, 82-97. doi: 10.1002/ceas.12095
- Fietzer, A. W., & Chin, S. (2017). The impact of digital media on executive functioning and performance in children and adolescents. In F. Blumberg & P. Brooks (Eds.) Cognitive development in digital contexts (pp. 167 – 180). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier.
- Fietzer, A. W., Ponterotto, J. G., Jackson, M. A., & Bolgatz, J. (2016). Cultural adjustment and social justice behavior: The role of individual differences in multicultural personality. European Journal of Personality, 30(6), 552-563. doi: 10.1002/per.2081
- Fietzer, A. W., & Ponterotto, J. G. (2015). A psychometric review of instruments for social justice and advocacy attitudes. Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, 7, 19-40.
- Ponterotto, J. G., & Fietzer, A. W. (2014). Multiculturalism and adjustment. In V. Benet- Martinez & Y. Y. Hong (Eds.) Oxford handbook of multicultural identity: Basic and applied perspectives (pp. 300-331). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ponterotto, J. G., Fietzer, A. W., Fingerhut, E. C., Woerner, S., Stack, L., Magaldi, D. D., . . . Liao, P. (2014). Development and initial score validation of the Multicultural Personality Inventory (MPI). Journal of Personality Assessment, 96(5), 544-558.
- Van der Zee, K., Van Oudenhoven, J. P., Ponterotto, J. G., & Fietzer, A. W. (2013). Multicultural Personality Questionnaire: Development of a short form. Journal of Personality Assessment, 95(1), 118-124. doi: 10.1080/00223891.2012.718302
- Jackson, M. A., Perolini, C. M., Fietzer, A. W., Altschuler, E., Woerner, S., & Hashimoto, N. (2011). Career-related success learning experiences of academically underachieving urban middle school students. The Counseling Psychologist, 39(7), 1024-1060. doi: 10.1177/0011000010397555
PSC CUNY Trad A Summer 2016 grant awarded. Amount: $3,488.56