About the Position
We seek an experienced and energetic Middle School Science Teacher to lead our middle school science program. We believe in cultivating children’s innate curiosity through complex, authentic investigations; we believe in educating the whole child; and we believe in empowering children to learn how to learn.
The teacher will be expected to collaborate on projects with teachers across the middle school, and be a resource to lower school teachers to ensure alignment in science learning between the lower school and middle school. The teacher will also be expected to use the city as a classroom and introduce our children to the latest developments in the sciences.
About the Middle School Science Program
Our Middle School Science program spans the fifth through eighth grades. Children learn to think and work like scientists by developing and executing their own investigations. The program takes guidance from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
About The Cathedral School
The Cathedral School is a private, co-educational preschool through middle school committed to fostering the natural curiosity, intelligence, and creativity of children through a classical education approach. We adhere to the ancient Greek tradition of paideia, which views education as character formation, responsibility, and the pursuit of excellence in all its forms. Our children consistently gain entry into New York City’s selective public and competitive private high schools. The academic program is rigorous; the setting is nurturing.
This list represents highlights.
- Lead the delivery and development of the science curriculum for children in grades 5–8
- Prepare instructional course materials for an investigative class format
- Use the city as a classroom and invite scientists into the school
- Assess children’s progress and issue reports
- Communicate proactively with families
- Collaborate with middle school colleagues on cross-disciplinary projects and lower school colleagues on curriculum alignment
- Participate in professional development that involves studying others’ best practices
- Lead a student club or other major activity
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
- Training in the sciences, science education
- A record of success nurturing middle school science children through the rigors of scientific investigation and discovery
- Experience teaching using data collection technologies like Vernier probes
- Experience developing rigorous curricula
- Understanding of the struggles and misconceptions with the sciences at this level
- Experience building rapport with middle school-aged children and their families
- Experience supporting the social-emotional learning needs of middle school-aged children
- Experience working with a creative, collaborative team
- Experience preparing students for a science Regents Exam is a plus
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, FSA, and 403(b))
Interested applicants should submit the following documents in one PDF file to The Cathedral School, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Letter of interest
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position will remain open until filled. Offer subject to successful reference checks and background check.
To learn more about our school, please visit our website.
The Cathedral School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, or sex in the administration of its educational policies, hiring and staffing policies, and other school-administered programs and activities.
|Job Category||Adolescent Grades 7-12|
|Organization/School Name||The Cathedral School|
|Contact Name||The Cathedral School Teacher Hirings|
|Application End Date||9/27/2019|
|Position Title||Middle School Science Teacher|
|Organization Website||The Cathedral School|