Manager of Post-Secondary Success
Math, Engineering, and Science Academy (MESA) Charter High School is a community high school in Bushwick, Brooklyn. The Manager of Post-Secondary Success plays a crucial role in ensuring that all Math, Engineering and Science Academy graduates persist and succeed in their chosen post-secondary path; this may be four-year college, two-year college, or a career. The Manager of Post-Secondary Success proactively supports students for two years after graduation from MESA, and also provides one-off “troubleshooting” support for alumni as needed. The Manager of Post-Secondary Success reports to the College Office Department Leader, but works closely with the Principal and the Co-Executive Directors as well.
- Conduct one-on-one counseling and support once per month by phone, email, online messaging to help students navigate academic, financial, and life obstacles they encounter while in college or other post-secondary program (including, but not limited to: financial aid issues, school transfers).
- Identify early and support students in “red flag situations” that increase likelihood of dropout, such as loss of financial aid, family crisis, etc.
- Identify key partners at all post-secondary institutions that serve Math, Engineering and Science Academy graduates and develop relationships with them to further the support of Math, Engineering and Science Academy alumni.
- Work closely with College Counseling team to push into and teach College Bound class when necessary.
- Leverages existing relationships with colleges or establishes new ones to support student success.
- Work closely with Data and Analytics Manager to develop and maintain accurate data and tracking systems to reflect student progress, using both National Clearinghouse data as well as internal tracking.
- Maintain up-to-date contact information for graduates and families.
- Organize alumni events both for social purposes and for purposes of developing network of Math, Engineering and Science Academy alumni that current Math, Engineering and Science Academy students can tap into. Leverage alumni network to further support upcoming MESA graduates.
- Integrate alumni into school functions and events (i.e. speaking opportunities to students, internships, mentoring Math, Engineering and Science Academy students, College Fair Day, Cultural Celebrations.)
- Work closely with Co-Executive Directors to support alumni through Math, Engineering and Science Academy’s 13th grade initiative. Lead workshops for alumni.
- Provide particular support for undocumented students (financial barriers, political barriers, entering workforce, maintaining a job, etc)
- Addressing ‘summer melt’ by being the point of contact for alumni.
- Other duties as assigned by Principal, School Director, or Co-Executive Directors
- At least three years in either college advising, college admissions, or post-secondary support.
- Experience working with population of first-generation college-going students from urban setting.
- Deep understanding of how to navigate college systems including residential life, academic registrar, office of student life, and particularly financial aid.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple work streams and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent professional judgement and instincts.
- Ability to communicate with a variety of different stakeholders clearly and effectively.
- Willingness to travel a few weeks per year to support students who are away at college.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
- Spanish-speaker a plus
Please email your resume and cover letter explaining specifically why you would be a good fit for Math, Engineering and Science Academy Charter High School to Arthur Samuels, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Manager of Post-Secondary Success.”
|Job Category||Adolescent Grades 7-12|
|Organization/School Name||Math, Engineering and Science AcademyCharter High School|
|Contact Name||Arthur Samuels|
|Position Title||Manager of Post-Secondary Success|