Adult English Language and Literacy Student Mentor
Manhattan, The Bronx
Posted 4 months ago
Adult English Language and Literacy (AELL) is the direct service provider of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and adult literacy instruction for the New York Public Library. Professional teachers facilitate free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level in in-person and online classes. Student Mentors work as part of the Intake team that welcomes, orients, assesses and formally registers new students into the program. Student Mentors are responsible for accurate student information collection and data entry. Student Mentors are also expected to provide administrative support and complete general office duties as assigned.
- Assists in entering statistical data for all ESOL/ABE classes
- Assists in tracking demographic information for new student information sessions
- Support a variety of behind-the-scenes tasks, from basic tasks like cutting paper to more involved tasks such as setting up calendars, and producing documents
- Provides overall support across all libraries in the preparation of materials and event setup (computers, video equipment, room arrangement, etc.) for information sessions
- Assists in the student intake across the Library, greeting new students, and helping direct them through the registration process by signing them in, seating them for the program, acting as translators (if bi-lingual), and making them feel comfortable within a library setting.
- Administer TABE and BestPlus standardized assessments for language and literacy (after receiving training)
- Help students fill out forms and collect the data necessary to complete the Individual Student Record Form.
- Provide office assistance (photocopying, organizing supplies, answering phones, scheduling appointments, checking in/out library materials, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working with a culturally diverse adult population
Successfully demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Zoom
- Successfully demonstrated ability to give clear and concise instructions to a diverse adult population
- Successfully demonstrated computer and keyboarding skills
- Successfully demonstrated ability to follow directions and work well independently and as a part of a group
- Successfully demonstrated reliability and flexibility
- Ability to travel to other library sites for student intake and assessment
|Job Category||TESOL Adult|
|Organization/School Name||New York Public Library|
|Position Title||Adult English Language and Literacy Student Mentor|