Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages – TESOL Online Advanced Certificate
This post-masters, advanced certificate program will prepare you to teach students — either children or adolescents for whom English is a second language. You will study the skills necessary for teaching English to speakers of other languages using specialized methods and techniques that differ from those used by teachers of English to native speakers. The online program version of the Advanced Certificate is designed primarily for students with limited ability to attend regular class sessions at on campus. All coursework is completed online. School observations are conducted through the medium of teacher-recorded video.
Cohorts for this online program begin each Spring semester.
Certification: ESOL PreK-12
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
This program is designed for applicants who possess a master’s degree and hold a New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education, special subjects, students with disabilities, or literacy.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0
- New York State certification in one of the following areas:
- Early childhood
- Middle childhood
- Adolescent education
- Special subjects
- Students with disabilities
- College coursework in linguistics and English grammar
- A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following: 6 credits in English, 12 credits in a language other than English at the college level, 6 credits in social studies (with at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose – Explain why the online version of the TESOL advanced certificate best suits your needs.
- An on-site oral interview and an on-site writing sample may be required
Applicants to the all-online sequence should specify their interest in the online cohort in the statement of purpose.
Applications are accepted each Spring semester.
To start your application, click here.
When applying to this program, under Program of Study, select School of Education – Other Programs and Adv. Cert in T.E.S.O.L. (Grades PreK-12)-Specialized Addl Cert.
Fall Start: March 15
Spring Start: October 15
Visit How to Apply for information about deadline extensions.
If you do not hold New York State teacher certification in one of the following areas: early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education; special subjects; students with disabilities; or literacy, consider applying for the master’s degree program in TESOL PreK-12.