Hunter College – New Visions Charter Teacher Pathways Program
The Hunter College – New Visions Charter Teacher Pathways Program is a 24-month teacher preparation program to prepare teachers to work in New Visions Charter High Schools. In the first year of the program you are hired as a full-time teacher at a New Visions Charter High School and are paired with an experienced mentor teacher. Tuition costs are paid directly by New Visions and the salary you will receive is equivalent to the normal New Visions salary schedule minus the annual cost of tuition and program administrative fees.
Upon successful completion of the program you receive a master’s degree from Hunter College and are eligible for New York State initial teacher certification.
Eligibility & Admission Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
- A liberal arts or sciences major (or interdisciplinary concentration) of at least 30 credits
- A General Education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, concepts in history and social sciences, humanities, a language other than English, scientific and mathematical processes, and written analysis and expression
- Content-specific requirements:
- Biology: A minimum of 21 credits in biology to include a year of introductory biology with laboratory and a semester of organic chemistry.
- Chemistry: A minimum of 29 credits in science and mathematics to include two years of chemistry (one year general chemistry with laboratory and one year organic chemistry with laboratory), one year of introductory physics with laboratory, and one semester of calculus.
- Earth Science: At least 21 credits in geology, physical geography, earth science, or environmental science, including geographic techniques.
- English: A minimum of 21 credits of advanced courses in British, American, or World Literature written in English (no more than 3 credits of the latter).
- Math: 24 or more credits in mathematics approved by the graduate mathematics adviser, including a course in elementary statistics, a year of calculus and a course in matrix algebra or linear algebra. A grade point average of at least 2.7 in mathematics courses.
- Spanish: A major in Spanish with a GPA of 3.0, with a minimum of 18 credits in upper-level Spanish literature (not to include courses in civilization/culture, linguistics or advanced language)
- TESOL: 12 credits in foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language, 9 credits in communication and English with at least one course in written analysis and expression and one course in English literature, 9 credits in science and mathematics with at least one course in math and one course in science (a college course in calculus satisfies 6 credits of this requirement), 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in history or geography), 3 credits in the arts.
- Submission of official score report on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applicants must not have or be eligible for teacher certification in any state
- Applicants must be willing to commit to intensive ongoing professional development for the first two years of teaching
- Applicants must be willing to commit to the 24-month program teaching in a New Visions charter high school
- Applicants who earned bachelor’s degrees outside the U.S. or took 90 or more credits of undergraduate courses outside the U.S. must take the TOEFL exam in order to apply
Connect with the Office of Partnership Program Admissions
Assistant Director, Office of Partnership Programs
The application for the 2019 cohort is now open. Application deadline is March 15, 2019.